Composer: Magnus Ohlsson
Duration: approx. 6 min.
Timpania is based on famous excerpts from the classical timpani literature. The piece is basically meant for auditions, but also appropriate for concert performance. It is requested to present this etude with great respect towards the style, colour and sound of the original composers.
The excerpts are taken from:
1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 5, 3rd movement going into the 4th movement
2. Brahms: Symphony No. 1, 4th movement
3. Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra
4. Tjajkovskij: Symphony No. 4, with some quotes from Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
5. Britten: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
6. Mahler: Symphony No. 5, 1st movement
7. Mahler: Symphony No. 5, finale of the 5th movement
8. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, 4th movement
9. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9, 1st movement
About the composer +
Magnus Ohlsson is principal tympani player in Malmö Symphony Orchestra since 1992. He studied music in Malmö musikgymnasium for Peter Winberg and after this at the Royal Danish Musikacademy for Bent Lyllof and Poul Leerhöj. He also played with various Orchestras in Denmark and Sweden. Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Danish Radio Entertainment Orchestra, Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra, Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra Malmö Opera Orchestra, Umeå Sinfonietta.
Front Cover image: Gaia Gomes
Engraving: Magnus Ohlsson & Johan Svitzer
Printed in Copenhagen, Denmark